Pike commissioners heard the proposed new budget is a 9.8% reduction from last year’s budget at their Tuesday, April 26 meeting. According to county manager Bill Sawyer, the current fiscal year budget is $9.6 million and the proposed budget for the coming fiscal year is $8.7, a total reduction of $865,298.
Are they still going to have enough money to stop and shut off the recycable truck in front of everyones house as they sort through them? The person who came up with this money wasting system should be part of the budget cut. The only thing being recycled in Zebulon is tax payers money. Leave it to Zebulon to make recycling a bad thing for the community!
1. Where are the cuts being made? Even though they are cost savings, random cuts don't make sense.
2. Is the county going to be able to operate within the budget? How big of a contingency fund will we have? Borrowing money that we needed in the first place is counter-productive.
3. How badly were needed services cut? Will they be able to operate properly? I'm sorry, but the Rec Department isn't a needed cost. I say that with children who play sports. Sorry, folks, but a little honesty is needed even when looking at parts of the budget where you have a personal interest.
4. Are the schools looking at similar cuts? They already account for over half of my tax bill.
5. Will the county publish the budgets from the departments, the ones given to the commission by Sawyer, and the final? No one should have to submit a request for them. They should be truly open in the process for a change.
6. How do these cuts personally effect and benefit Sawyer and the commissioners? Are they in this for themselves? The last I heard, Sawyer was still not a resident of Pike County.
i want to commend the boc and mr. sawyer on a job well done. i hope these cuts carry through to the end of the budgeting cycle. it's time that government from the bottom to the top realize that continuing to grow the government puts america in peril. over 50% of americans currently receive a government check. this cannot continue and america prosper.
when was the last time america has prospered? look in your books of amazing facts and lets hear the years that our deficit did not grow. america blows too much money on all sorts of silly projects. people say this is the greatest country in the world. sounds like you know of a better one. educate us on which one it is so we can use it as a role model.
perhaps you should take your own advice and look up some history for yourself.
at no time in history has our country had deficit spending as it has under obama and the democrats. at the rate he's going, he will increase the federal debt by as much as all presidents before him combined.
and you can wrap yourself in the flag all you want, but if things don't change, this country will no longer be the greatest in the world. as citizens of this country, not only do we have the right but the civic duty to correct our politicians when they are out of control.
did you know there is a provision in the constitution that allows for the reforming of the government should the current one become something the majority of the people do not want? 70% +/- of the people in this country are dissatisfied with their government.
Only registered users may comment on stories. Please login or register to post comments. Your browser must support cookies.