When she saw the smoke, Mrs. Scott called 911; then called her sons.
Firefighters arrived on the scene and extinguished the fire but the home was severely damaged. The Scotts' bedroom and a bathroom were standing, but furniture was damaged and everything was blackened by smoke and fire.
The Scotts have lived in their house since 1985 and Mrs. Scott has lived on the property all her life. She suspects the fire could have been caused by an electrical problem but that has yet to be determined. The case is still under investigation.
The Scotts have insurance and their claims representative was on the scene last week to assess the damage, but they have immediate needs such as towels, bed linens and kitchen items. Mrs. Scott also wants to purchase a used laptop to replace her computer lost in the fire.